Wednesday, January 23, 2013

American traditional tattoos


 The most popular designs in traditional American tattooing evolved from the artists who traded, copied, swiped and improved on each other's work. The developed a series of stereotyped symbols that were put on soldiers and sailors of both World Wars. Many designs represented courage, patriotism, defiance of death, and longing for family and loved ones left behind.


I apprenticed under Tattoo Charlie Wheeler for around fourteen months before I started tattooing for money in November of 2001. I don’t feel like I came into my own until a year or two ago, but that’s not to say I’m finished learning or moving forward. That’s one of the things I love about my job, there’s is ALWAYS more to learn and room to improve. If I ever feel like I can’t learn anymore I’m going to quit.


AMERICAN TRADITIONAL
The American traditional style (or Americana style) was defined by and is linked to the invention of the first tattoo machine.
O’Reilly, the inventor, made his contribution to the profession at the beginning of the twentieth century, when he modified the mechanism of an ordinary home sewing machine and thus facilitated the whole tattooing procedure. Flashes (i.e. tattoo designs) have existed since 1872.





No comments:

Post a Comment